Skype in the Classroom Ideas

I have recently mentioned a few ways to use Skype in the classroom at our faculty meetings. If you are interested in any of these activities, please let me know! I will be happy to help in any way I can!

Here are some links to get you started:

Skype an Author: Many writers offer to Skype with classrooms to discuss their books. You can find a list of authors who do this here and here. You can find more resources by doing a web search for “Skype an Author.” Wouldn’t it be fun for your class to discuss a book they’ve read with the author?

Mystery Skype: Here’s a great way to reinforce geography skills as well as information seeking skills. A Mystery Skype session connects two classes anywhere in the world. Students take turns asking yes or no questions to figure out the other class’s location. You can find great Mystery Skype resources and tips for getting started here. There are many places to sign up for a Mystery Skype, including here and here. Or you can just let me know, and I will help you get connected to another class.

Here is a picture of my MS Creative Arts class doing a Mystery Skype with a 5th grade class in Massachusetts.

The closer we got to figuring out where the other class was, the more exciting it became!

Skype in the Classroom:  You can find many other activities to do with Skype in the classroom. Check out the Skype in the Classroom main page. Follow @SkypeClassroom on Twitter. Check out this blog post that lists 50 ways to use Skype in the classroom. Or just search for “Skype in the classroom” on the web.

NOTE: Even though I’ve been using the term “Skype” for these activities, they can all be done with other video calling services, such as Google+ Hangouts or FaceTime. Again, let me know if you’d like to do one of these activities. Help your students realize the world is bigger than the four walls of their classroom!